A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969
This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant.
2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!, year - 1971
This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention.
B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bulb, Wood and Metal, Scale- compared to myself the width is bigger than my height and the Height is likely a bit bigger than myself but it was hard to tell with it on the wall. Year - 1962
I really connected to this piece as it reminds me greatly of my sons room. His room is filled with stars (so is my own) his name is Kai which mean universe so his room is themed with a lot of space thing ( possibly too many !)
2] Artist - Casey Riordan Miller, Title- Shark girl with Blue cloud, Media- Mixed media on paper, Scale - Height is about slightly shorter than my finger tips to my elbows and the width is about the length of my finger tips to my elbow, Year- 2011
I connected to this one because I suffer from depression and the blue clouds conveyed that feeling to me. Also shark girl to me seems like an outsider and I have never really felt like I fit in in my entire life.
C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
1] Artist - Casey Riordan Miller, Title - Shark Girl with Pink Cloud, Media - mixed media, scale - The height is a little bigger than the span of my finger tips to elbow the width appears to be almost exactly the same size as the span of my finger tips to my elbow, Year- 2013
I would like to know more about this work because I am not sure if it supposed to be conveying happiness or sadness since the cloud is pink which makes me feel happy but the yellow string which represents rain makes me feel sad as I am not a big fan of rain, as it can make my pain worse. I am just not sure which feelings I feel when I look at this piece. Also with where shark girl is sitting it makes me wonder if she is looking down on all of this at the level of the pink cloud which makes me feel happy of if this placement is not meant to convey this.
2] Artist - Casey Riordan Miller, Title - Shark Girl with Brick Wall, Media- mixed media, Scale - The piece as a whole is much larger than myself. Shark girl is about my size, year- 2017
While I do like this piece I find myself fully lost as to what it conveys to me or what the artist might be trying to convey. I am not sure why this disco ball is brick or why the wall is brick and i would very much like to know why the artist made this Shark Girl piece this way.
1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969
This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant.
2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!, year - 1971
This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention.
B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bulb, Wood and Metal, Scale- compared to myself the width is bigger than my height and the Height is likely a bit bigger than myself but it was hard to tell with it on the wall. Year - 1962
I really connected to this piece as it reminds me greatly of my sons room. His room is filled with stars (so is my own) his name is Kai which mean universe so his room is themed with a lot of space thing ( possibly too many !)
2] Artist - Casey Riordan Miller, Title- Shark girl with Blue cloud, Media- Mixed media on paper, Scale - Height is about slightly shorter than my finger tips to my elbows and the width is about the length of my finger tips to my elbow, Year- 2011
I connected to this one because I suffer from depression and the blue clouds conveyed that feeling to me. Also shark girl to me seems like an outsider and I have never really felt like I fit in in my entire life.
C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
I would like to know more about this work because I am not sure if it supposed to be conveying happiness or sadness since the cloud is pink which makes me feel happy but the yellow string which represents rain makes me feel sad as I am not a big fan of rain, as it can make my pain worse. I am just not sure which feelings I feel when I look at this piece. Also with where shark girl is sitting it makes me wonder if she is looking down on all of this at the level of the pink cloud which makes me feel happy of if this placement is not meant to convey this.
2] Artist - Casey Riordan Miller, Title - Shark Girl with Brick Wall, Media- mixed media, Scale - The piece as a whole is much larger than myself. Shark girl is about my size, year- 2017
While I do like this piece I find myself fully lost as to what it conveys to me or what the artist might be trying to convey. I am not sure why this disco ball is brick or why the wall is brick and i would very much like to know why the artist made this Shark Girl piece this way.
Robin, I love how you've specifically demonstrated how each artwork conveys aspects of element, design, and visual design that appealed to you the most. The Albright Knox Gallery is one the oldest art institutions in America, so I am not surprised at how astonished you were when realizing the scale and attention-to-detail that each showcase projects.
ReplyDeleteOverall, great showcase selection and background descriptions. You did a great job of gathering information too!
thank you so so very much! when i read your comment it really brightened my day since I wasn't sure if I did an ok job or not on this project sorry I thought I had responded but I must have forgotten to. <3
DeleteOne of the works we both chose was Victor Vasarely's painting Vega-Nor, oil on canvas, 78 3/4" x 78 3/4", 1969. I'm sure that many, like you and I were, are drawn to that work for similar reasons; it is extremely large and creates an incredible optical illusion. The installation piece that you chose by Dan Flavon, Untitled (to Donna) 6 , blue pink and yellow fluorescent lights, 1971 is a simple design, but the use of colored lights gives the empty space an illusion of depth - I don't remember seeing this work when I visited the gallery, but I wish I had! You obviously have a special interest, like many people do, in the Shark Girl series of works by Casey Riordan Miller. You relate to these works in our reflection on a deeply personal level. I have to applaud you for taking her own pictures; I did also but was unhappy with the results (without my flash) so I chose to use the images from the Albright-Knox Art Gallery. I enjoy seeing what a fellow classmate was drawn to and the reasons why!
ReplyDeletethank you for your comments, I am glad you think I did a good job with the photos I took! I am really glad to read that you think I did a good job! I was . Not sure at the time. I think a lot of people were drawn to the very Macro sized oil on canvas painting because of the optical illusion and how very big it is!
DeleteI really liked the pieces you choose in your project. We actually picked one of the same pieces, which was interesting. We viewed this piece similar yet different. We choose Casey Riodan Millers pieces. They were fascinating to me as well. I liked your analysis of all of your pictures and thought you did a good job at writing what you thought about them. You really showed how you connected and viewed every piece and I enjoyed that.
ReplyDeleteTHank you it is very nice to read these comments and to see that others think I did a good job! I tried to but was unsure!
Delete