Skip to main content

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow


        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish. (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that.
The Elements and Principles of Design:
The things with which an artist works with to create a composition. 
The Elements are:
Lines; which can be curved or straight, thick or thin, vertical, horizontal, oblique. They can unify things or show separation. Oblique lines show movement and can convey feelings, so can a curved horizontal or vertical line. Artist's utilize how the brain follows lines in their favor to convey what they are trying to present to the observer.

Shapes; they are categorized as Naturalistic which uses the maximum  amount of contrast and are emotionally active, aesthetically dynamic, spatially in depth or as geometric using minimal contrast. They are emotionally passive, aesthetically decorative and spatially static.
The Golden Mean Rectangle is used to make geometric shapes less constrictive. To do so one would, draw a square, use the diagonal of half the square as a radius then rotate this radius to the base line, and lastly extend the rectangle to the point where the arc meets the baseline.

Space and size use the Golden Mean Rectangle, Perspective, and sizes such as small, medium, large ect. are used with space to create differing effects, meanings and feelings just in real life how space and the size of it can do such.

Value which has to do with the lightness or darkness of tones and colors.

Colors dictated by the color wheel, chroma and value.

Textures such as rough, smooth, soft, hard ect.

below is the link to my blogger site. I do have to say that I highly recommend the use of google photos in the next semesters. Photobucket is filled with adware and spam, since the use of google for blogger is already used it would make full sense to use google photos.

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/robinalexix/library/Elements%20of%20Principal%20of%20Design?sort=3&page=1

Comments

  1. I love that you've has chosen to use all of your own artwork to showcase the Visual Elements of Art and the Principles of Design. It not only gave you a chance to 'self-analyze', it also gives the rest of us a glimpse of your unique artistic style. I agree that Photobucket has way too many ads, but it is my understanding that if you upgrade to a paid account the ads disappear. There are 21 images in your slide show, we only needed to showcase the 7 Visual Elements of Art and 7 Principles of Design, and some were duplicates. None were labeled with which 'Element' or 'Principle' they are meant to represent. I was just confused because oftentimes an image can represent more than one 'Element' or 'Principle'. An easy remedy would be to just go back to Photobucket, delete extra image copies, and add titles for clarification. I am confident that you understand the different 'Elements' and 'Principles' from what I read in your reflection journal, and it's so nice to see you use your work as examples! Great job Robin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the critical constructive criticism I do actually really appreciate it. I had a lot of issues using photo bucket and wish we could have just used google photos instead. I am a computer tech and I am not sure if it is just because I use linux and not windows or not but the site had so much malware. I couldn't honestly figure out how to add the titles! I will go back and try to again. Thank you for your honesty it means a lot to me! My book I am illustrating has been released for presale on a side note which is super exciting. My artwork is nowhere near as good as yours but I am excited that the publisher loves my illustrations and that other have starte to pre order the book :]

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed your artwork and liked the fact that you used your own artwork to capture all of the elements and principles. I was not sure if you used some images to represent multiple elements and principles. Overall I thought your project was great. You did a really good job at picking your images to what I thought represented each. You did a great job at bringing out your style in this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again I do agree with what you said and I need to go back and try again to add titles. I do know that my works of art show a multitude of elements and principles in each one. I just really need to go back on my Mac computer instead of linux and try again to add the titles!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!