Skip to main content

Color Theory and Emotional Effects

1. Describe Color and it's effects on emotions. Use the appropriate vocabulary of color in your posting.
Color reflects on to itself and it reflects on to colors with in the same work of art. Using a bright white canvas helps to keep colors bright. It’s effects on emotion are quite interesting how color can produce psychological effects of anger comfort and warm, hostility depending on the type of red used. How it clashes or mixes with other warm colors. While cool colors can invoke sadness or even calmness it all depends really on what hues and tones of the colors are used and with which other colors they are mixed with as to what feeling will surface yin the person looking at the color. You could create violence or harmony and it all depends on the colors surrounding each other and what hues and tones are used. How the intensity is diminished from just the addition of another color. How the hue can be changed  by tinting with just the addition of water or white to create a color with a different effect and the addition of black changes the shade of the color which also can change the physiological effects of color. Lastly how an analogous color scheme can create harmony within a work of art. 

2. What is a theoretical aspect of color that most intrigues/fascinates you? Why?
The fact that the colors used can create a mood of the piece of art. How warm colors can create comfort and warmth or hostility. How cool colors can invoke sadness or serenity. I find that purple can invoke creativity as it as a nice balance creating serenity yet it is also stimulating. How green and red can create feelings of madness by clashing the colors. The green and red can invoke hostility and violence which can in turn like in Vincent Van Vogue in the video on color.

3. In the Color video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and
 it's effects on emotions?
I think that the artist June that she says “it keeps it fresh it keeps in alive.” in regards to the way she uses color. Fresh and alive are terms which have to do with emotion. Feeling alive is a very important emotion. I find how art can make someone feel alive fascinating though the use of color. In psychology art therapy has been found to be very positive in it’s therapeutic effects. The way she paints is very similar to me. I paint right from the tube as well as I think it provides the best pigment possible by not contaminating it or diluting it’s intensity. The way that she has a love hate relationship with her art speaks to me as I have the same.

4. In the Feelings video, what made the biggest impact on you in regards to color and it's effects on emotions? 
The effects of color, emotion and psychology in this video to me was most interesting in the way that it showed political, spiritual vs religious and how those who want freedom from the restraints of not having positions of power. How the artists mixed reality and fantasy as well as made works of art on free thought being punished by creating with colors in different hues, tints shades to in secret create works of art in which they were not supposed to create. They used colors to  “radiate unease” and how artists could almost do this to express themselves even if those who hired them didn’t want this. At the same time they were ok with this because they were royal and in charge.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish . (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that. The Elements and Principles of Design: The things with which an artist works with to create a composition.  The Elements are: Lines; which can be curved or straigh...