Skip to main content

Architecture: video reviews and how they relate to the readings




1. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

     A) "Architecture: the science of design"
I learned through the introduction of new materials about the uses of steel and cement in architecture. I explained how concrete can be poured underwater and how wind plays a major factor in the construction of a building. The video also discussed how angles and lines which are flat, play a major role in how a building is constructed to react to wind. Right angles and flat lines are elements in the design of architecture which react very poorly to wind.


     B) "Prairie Style"
This video showed a lot of work with home ceilings and great collection of unique home designs. I enjoyed watching the unique creations and the focus on the style of low home ceilings.



2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text? 

Both of the videos I viewed and the text bring to light a topic which I was not expecting for the text or this course to bring up. Architecture, is an art as well as a science. The videos went more in depth as to the scientific components of Architecture. The video "architecture: the science of design" brings up how Skyscrapers have to stand up to the many elements of weather which affect and are always affecting how architecture is made. Things such as earthquakes, wind, precipitation and the endless other elements about weather effect endlessly architecture.  

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of Architecture?

I found the videos very detailed yet still an ease to understand and grasp the concepts they spoke of. They showed the development of architecture through the years and helped to clarify that while the topic is quite scientific in nature it is also an art. As a science major I am enjoying how this class is helping me to understand how my love of both art and science makes a lot more sense to the world than I thought it did before taking this class. It is always said the people if they have a science brain in what I have heard then also love mathematics. Yet until now nothing to my experience has ever been said to the love of both science and art. I am very grateful to this class as the videos and the text are explaining to me why my brain has always been so hardwired to both! 


4. Why did you choose the films that you watched? 

I had chose the two videos "Architecture: the science of design" and "Frank Gehry: Architecture as art". I choose them based off of the titles and what I thought they would be about such as the 1st one which talks about the science behind the art and the 2md video I picked because I thought it would contrast well with how science based the other video was. Out of the two videos I enjoyed the 1st one far more and learned a great deal more from it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish . (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that. The Elements and Principles of Design: The things with which an artist works with to create a composition.  The Elements are: Lines; which can be curved or straigh...