Skip to main content

Video Reviews: More Human than Human and The Measure of All things

1] Explain why you selected the video you choose from the selection listed above.

I choose the video The Measure of All Things: Greek Art and the Human Figure. I did this out of interest in seeing more in depth as to how the Geek's in 5 B.C. captured the human form compared to how the egyptians did.   It in more detail discussed the art that the Greeks developed along with realism. I also wanted to gain a more indepth view of how realism was developed. I found it interesting to learn more about how the concept of exaggeration affects the way in which one perceives art.

2] For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.

In the 1st video "More Human Than Human":
It was interesting to learn that Ancient Egyptian statues are worth a large sum of money, although this I did already expect with the difficulty and danger in which would have to have preexisted one having the item to sell. How the human is hardwired to place emphasis on specific parts of the body that are considered of the highest attraction. The unrealistic proportions were explained in what drove them, the video mentioned fertility and primal instincts.
In the second video "The Measure of All Things":
This Video goes in depth about the cultural shift that started in the 5th century B.C. As Greek art changed from religious centered ideas and moved to human-centered ideas. Greek art using the Human figure shows us the permanent has made an impression it left on how we view still ourselves today. I did learn why the human body was idolized in the Egyptian culture. From the mere beauty of the body, the Egyptians believed that the human body was closest thing to the gods the worshiped.

3] How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

The text and videos compliment eachother well. The videos aided in detail of the subject matter and helped to enrich the ideas the text outlined. I always prefer to learn about something with more than one source as to gain a perspective greater by seeing multiple views. The videos were more detailed and greater in depth with the structures of realism. The text was written more in stages and gave a solid overview of the subject matter. I believe I have a greater understanding of the subjects brought up in both the text and the videos because both were used in these teachings.

4] What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

Both of the videos chosen were very interesting because they discussed the roots of art. How certain techniques  and also why they were developed. I think it of great importance to be shown these concepts before and while being introduced to realism. The Measure of All Things: Greek Art and the Human Figure goes more in depth of how art is i the eyes "of the beholder". The use of both the text and videos helped to solidify the subject matter. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish . (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that. The Elements and Principles of Design: The things with which an artist works with to create a composition.  The Elements are: Lines; which can be curved or straigh...