Skip to main content

Blog: Video Review Mod 11

1. Explain why you selected each of the TWO videos you choose from the selection listed above.
I choose "The Impact of Cubism" and "Expressionism" purely out of interest because I wanted to learn more about the topics.   

2. For each video list/discuss the key concepts you learned.
The Impact of Cubism
*  That Cubism was Influenced by work such as Cezanne, African tribal art, and art of the Iberian peninsula; I had no idea!
* Cubism was the most influential type of art in the 20th century and gave European artists atypical,  ways to represent form and space.
* How interesting the type of works are, like the 1st one called "the breakfast table" It has at 1st appearance nothing to do with that at all but then the narrator explains and with very careful examination you can see what they are saying.

Expressionism
* How paint was thinly applied, sometimes dripping off the canvas.
*  That it was a growth of Fauvism
* How much the form of a woman changes
* How it emphasized color's emotional properties while yet it showed far less concern with the formal and structural composition of color.

2. How do the videos relate to the readings in the text?

They enrich it by explaining and showing the topics in a detail not doable by text alone. For Cubism I didn't really get it until I watched the video. I liked the other video  as well it shows Expressionism in a way the text again can just not do justice to.

3. What is your opinion of the films? How do they add depth to understanding of the readings and art concepts?

As all of the videos this semester I really enjoyed them and they made me far more able to understand topics in the text then I was before able too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish . (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that. The Elements and Principles of Design: The things with which an artist works with to create a composition.  The Elements are: Lines; which can be curved or straigh...