Skip to main content

Mask Creation!!

I choose to do this project to show a grand experience I just had while speaking at UB on December 25th about being a survivor of 2 generations of Domestic Violence. In that speech I found myself and felt re-born or as if I had finally met myself.  I wanted to show Power, Rebirth, truth and the psychological damage done by the 28 years of abuse I endured and SURVIVED!! KEY WORD HERE PEOPLE SO DON'T FEEL THE NEED TO BE SAD OR ANYTHING! (If anyone viewing this would like to see the speech that inspired this comment and I will gladly share it!

4 images I used for inspiration:

This shows rebirth or reincarnation. The symmetry in such an intricate in lines, contours, raised levels and depressed levels. The indented lines lines to the top portion and the circles which have depressed centers and raised outers bring the eyes up.





This mask was made to show how one was pre trauma to the left and to the right the effects of PTSD which I have. The simple contours to the left and mostly monochrome shade show what is what someone can see when they look at your "mask" or your face.  It only has highlights of color to the left on the brow which is a simple arch and the half of the lip to the left is just pink colored. When you look to the right everything changes, The physical contours mostly remain symmetrical. But Immediately the eye is drawn to the top which has a very distant brow and the word hate in big print, smaller fear and anger. The eye is dawn right to the upper right because of the extreme contrast of the brow and the high arch. Also the red resembles pain which in PTSD is physiological in nature but may stem from physical pain from a truma someone saw or endured. The lip burns from a lively pink to a dark black showing survivor's remorse. This is a problem that not only occurs from war but can happen from any trauma and is very common in cases of domestic violence. I don't know one survior or victim of it who DOES NOT HAVE IT.  




This mask is supposed to be that of truth, as it is just pure white and simple. Monochrome and light of a high value. That is the perfect representation of truth, truth needs nothing extra and shouldn't need a mask at all. But our world doesn't like truth about this subject. ruth sounds like hate to those who hate truth. It's like I wore a mask for the last 30 years and on the 25th of october of this year it finally came off and I met myself.




This mask shows Power with its long board countered horns, and bold highly rich pigmented red.


My draft:

My mask is drying....



Almost done drying!!



mid painting!!

Getting there! out of all projects this is the most time consuming but the most fun.



Almost done! Next Picture is the final piece.


Explain how you used the Elements and Principles in your finished mask.
The elements and principles I used in my mask creation come mostly from the last 3 (so I  
 am glad that I chose 4 pieces!) Since I didn't end up really using the 1st one at all.  I used contoured shapes and choose an asymmetrical design. The left doesn't match the right half not only with applied paints, markers and other details but also just the shapes of the eyes cut out themselves don't match. I did this to show how much an affected individuals are effected by PTSD are distorted. It's almost like being 2 different people. As I tried to show by the left and right. Left would be me Surviving and the right would be me while I was recovering and while I was being actively hurt. For the left I used lace and spray painted it with purple because it is the color used to represent Domestic Violence. I used a lace print because I no longer feel pain from everything and I am over that (for the most part. To the left and to the right the eyebrows are completely different. To the left the eyebrow is just  a simple arch and to the right the brow is all skewed up like you are nervous, paranoid, and angry.   

Your opinion of your finished mask and what you thought about creating the mask.
 I feel that because this is something I have never done, create a 3d mask that it was a very challenging and time consuming task! Although it was quite hard I am very glad that I did it! I do wish it would have come out shaped a bit differently and that decorating it might have come out a bit better. Overall I am not disappointed in the final piece but I did want it to end up looking more like a work of art and less like a school project.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Project one: Visit to the Albright Knox gallery

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why? 1]Artist-Victor Vasarely, Title- Vega-Nor, Media-Oil on Canvas, scale -compared to me this piece is taller than I am and in width it is also a bit wider as well, year - 1969 This first piece made an impression on me because the elements used create and lead the eyes to see a sphere coming right out of the center of the canvas! The way the artist used the elements and principals of art to create this piece to make it appear that way is brilliant. 2]Artist- Dan Flavon, Title - Untitled (to Donna) 6 , Media - Blue pink and yellow florescent lights, scale- This piece is much bigger than me in length and width!,  year - 1971 This piece I found to be very impressive because of it's unique media and it's scale as well. It's size and the lights almost demand attention. B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why? 1] Artist - Jim Dine, Title - Child's Blue Wall, Media - mixed: Oil on canvas, Light Bu...

Art 247 Gallery Visit

So I choose to visit the Art247 in Lockport! I love it there, my friend is the owner. It's a gem not enough people know about!! It's on main street at 247 in lockport! I am doing my project on the yearly Domestic Violence Survivors art showing!  This first picture is of the 1st piece I saw. It caught my eye because I know the artist and saw it last year! This exhibit unlike many other does not display the names of the works or who they were made by as they are survivors of Domestic Violence.  Work 1 to analyze!  The second to analyze!  The third to analyze!

Project #1: Elements and Principles Slideshow

        For this project I choose to capture images of my own artwork and I will explain how they all show the Elements of Design. It will be interesting to analyze my own work in this manner as I never have before. Please note, the images are of my own artwork and MAY NOT BE reproduced IN ANY MANNER without my permission!! It is actually fully against the law. The pictures of the charcoal, pencil, colored pencil of elephants are also covered by the publisher as copyrighted works. They are all drafts, some more complete than others. I do have permission from the publisher and a mutual understanding that I own the works of art and can do with them as I wish . (sell them or use them for this project for instance) Those works are my personal works and the publishers so please respect that. The Elements and Principles of Design: The things with which an artist works with to create a composition.  The Elements are: Lines; which can be curved or straigh...